The aims of the session are to allow you to explore the use of twitter within the context of a social network tool, and also collectively work up ideas of how it might be used as a learning technology.
At the end of our day you will have;
- created your own twitter account, followed people, posted to your twitter account (text, links and images) and gained some experience of using services, such as http://www.twemes.com and agreed tags enhance the way that small groups of people can communicate.
- found and reviewed an online article / blog post about using Twitter
- in small groups (as part of the end of day activity) developed a scenario on how twitter could be used in an educational context.
The overall flow of the day is …
in the morning, familiarise yourself with Twitter and find / disseminate an appropriate artcile
in the afternoon, after using Twitter to achieve a number of tasks, meet up for a group discussion to develop a number of learning and teaching scenarios.
10.00 to 11.00: getting started
- Create your twitter account (overview, link to twitter.com)
- follow jiscemerge (overview – jisc emerge is a dissemination tool), use the Moodle wiki to state your twitter username for others at the conference to follow
- post a tweet … 10.30 am: what am I doing, looking at, or what am I feeling?
11.00 to 12.00: participating in a social network
- If you have access to a camera, camera phone, then use Twitpic to share a picture … 11.30 am: what I am looking at and why
- Answer questions raised by jiscemerge, reply via @jiscemerge. These will include;
- 11.15 am: How do you access twitter?
- 12.00 am: are you aware of who is following you? does this impact on how you tweet?
12.00 to 3.30:
- Find an appropriate web posting (blog), or online article about the use of Twitter (preferably in an educational context) and post the url on twitter
- Twitter updates, reflections, and summaries by those attending ….
- “Getting Collaborative”: APT Stairs googledocs activity led by Sarah Sherman”
- “Telling Tales of User Engagement”: Appreciative Inquiry session led by Patsy Clarke
- 3.00 pm: do you think you’ll be using twitter in 12 months time? please explain your answer
4.00 to 4.45
In online session;
- intros, and who are you? set of poll questions about level of previous experience with twitter.
- summary of some of the day’s activities on jiscemerge
- overview of a few of the posted resources
- use as a learning activity – peoples perceptions of who useful it is as a learning technology
- small group activity … work up a use of twitter in an educational context – be prepared to present back. (should be 2 minute presentation)
- burning questions? where next … JISC emerge wiki