This question is relevant to all our validations and approvals. It would be really useful if a number of the sessions outlined below were completed pre validation. The actual question was recently asked by a validation panel. So, what should be our approach?
Our approach needs to:
- reflect the programme is bespoke for each course team and discipline, however, we need to ensure the topics are generic, map (where possible) to the strategic objectives of UCS, ie., innovative and assessment, etc.,
- use innovative workshop designs, ie., Serious Lego Play
- adopt good practice from across UK HE
- involve more than one event and move from general to specific
- acknowledge staff are different stages on their development paths
- place the student learning experience at the heart of the process
A suggested model would include:
Pre meeting activity:
Kick start meeting:
- Course Leader plus course team – what are you currently doing, what like to do, what think you should be doing? Informed by Validation documentation (30-45 mins)
- a whole team session on technologies for learning (1 hour)
- a whole team session on opportunities with TEL enhanced assessment and feedback (1 hour)
- specialist sessions on what ever is required (1 hour)
- arrange and align with the one to one sessions we offer
Added thoughts post conversation with Course Leader: Add a list of generic titles to inform the likely direction
- How can I enhance my classroom teaching through innovative technologies?
- Getting started with using LearnUCS in your teaching and learning
- How might you use objective testing in your teaching and learning?
- Enhancing collaborative and group learning through innovative technologies
- Using social media tools to enhance your teaching and learning
- Designing effective e-learning activities
- Getting started with using Mahara e-Portfolio in your teaching and learning
- What does mobile learning offer me?
- Effective ways of using multimedia in your teaching and learning
- How might I enhance learning through innovative technologies?