I’ve seen all apart from Suffolk New College. The following is the vision / implementation for Elevate, LN’s and the VLE.
- Create a standard sys admin role for the key people in LN’s which will allow them to acheive certain tasks and take ownership over their community areas. ACTION >> Elevate >> organise a meeting with the key contacts to take this role at their LNs. Consult on what is on offer, and see if it meets their needs
- Elevate to keep a list (as a good doc) available to LN Sys Admin and LN HE in FE Cooridnators of who has what responsibilities.
- Elevate to provide staff training (face to face and online how to guides) for the LN Sys Admins.
- Elevate to organise a termly meeting of the LN Sys Admins to keep in the loop of our plans, to consult with and ensure all is going OK
- Elevate attend the LN for 1 day per month. This will allow us to meet up with the LN Sys Admin, the HE in FE coordinator, run a drop in surgery, run an organised staff development session
- Elevate to provide an online course around key themes, ie., an introduction to podcasting
- Elevate to facilitate 15 minute webinars (coffee breaks) by a practitioner on what they are doing – these are life, not recorded
- Elevate to encourage / include a person at each LN to be part of a centrally funded CMALT project
- collaborate on the authoring of key / cross institution guides, such as effective uses of the gradebook
- Elevate and the LN’s will start to build up working relationships through project work, which may or may not be funded, and if funded maybe internal or external.
The following summarise the main findings from the three learning network site visits, including Otley, Great Yarmouth and Bury
- there is a sense of isolation with no forums to share experiences (both within cognitive groupings, and technologies) – people don’t have a sense of knowing what is going on
- there is a sense of not being able to take ownership of their areas. This comes from both the lack of coordinated ideas within the LN, and not being clear on what they can do within WOLSEY
- there is no coordinated staff development programme or presence of “experts” at the LNs
- there is no sense of collaborative learning or ownership of e-learning tools
- there are lots of frustrations around the bigger picture in terms of length of time to get staff and students on the system (post recruitment / registration), lots of discussion around how better to manage the HE experience in the FE situation, ie., needing more scaleable solutions than campus connect, perhaps re-visit JANET filters by profile or IP address
So, what might we do, and when?
There are a number of easy wins to facilitate the development of a community of practice within the UCS w.r.t the enhancing through learning agenda … this includes;
- encourage local vision / strategy of how they want WOLSEY to work within their community tabs, and their learning spaces. This should include a few objectives which highlight any need for ELTT Team resource
- devolution of certain tasks to named individuals for managing WOSLEY in LNs – include creating no-SITS course, enrolling staff / students
- creation of a LN WOLSEY Admin Group – meets once a term (Feb, June, Sept) to help disseminate changes on WOLSEY and emerging uses with e-learning Tools
- organise (led by indivdiual LN), a 1-2-1 drop in surgery (2 hours), with a masterclass session (45 mins) * 2 on choosen themes, and meeting of key stakeholders – one day a month at each LN
- devolve out (encourage) LNs writing their “own stories” and “how to guides” to be published through the ELTT Blog – this would be 1 story and 1 how to guide a semester – topics to be agreed, and will incvolve providing template and write access to the ELTT Blog
- if we get the software … run a number of e-seminars on various times and topics across the LN’s – these will be 10 minute / 10 slide sessions around sharing practice
- focus on working up project and pilot ideas across the network, where the LNs will become test beds for innovations in teaching and learning practice
- ELTT – 1 day a month at each site, 1 day a month arranging and delivering the e-seminar series, 2 days a year on LN WOLSEY Admin Group, a few days to get things up and running
The bigger picture is the need to more coordination between the ITS Infrastructure Teams, local IT teams, other teams. ELTT Team will be happy to get involved, but the bigger picture is not in our control. Seems lots of cultural / communication issues in individual LNs, and teams in UCS Ipswich.